Thursday, August 18, 2011

Luke: a Chef John Besh Restaurant

I love chef John Besh. Not only is he a James Beard winner, but he's a down to earth family man who also loves to help out the community . I had yet to try Luke (his first venture outside of Louisiana), so Italianini and I made our way to San Antonio's river walk.

Getting a table was no problem, the place was empty. There were maybe four tables in the huge dining room, and not a soul in the also large mezzanine or in the patio.


Service was formidable, didn't miss a beat. 
Here's the food:

Pâté of rabbit and quail livers
truffle-perfumed. And get this-- watermelon pickles, pickles, mustard, and nopalitos gelee. It was amazing.
I really enjoyed the sharp pickled bites mixed with the subtle and smooth flavors of the pate.





Jumbo Gulf shrimp “en cocotte”
McEwen and Sons creamy white corn grits. One of the more pricey items on the menu. Rich, soulful, filling, and delicious. Definitely feels like you're in Louisiana.


I had the Texas raised herb roasted chicken. It's served over whipped potatoes in its natural jus with bacon. Seriously? Do I even need to say anything else? 


The feel of the restaurant is not my favorite. The decor is really lacking, I just think the space is too big for what they are trying to accomplish... and, let's get real here, it connects to the Embassy Suites lobby. 



No comments:

Post a Comment