Friday, July 17, 2009

Frank

I was a little sentimental walking into former Starlite but happy to walk into brand new, two-week-old, Frank---
AND super excited to finally catch up with one of my besties (
The Austinite) after months of conflicting schedules getting in the way.

I was late, so The Austinite had already ordered chili-cheese fries and a nice cold Breckenridge Avalanche Amber. The huge waffle fries were perfect, just enough salt, and crispy. The chili, on the other hand was...what's the word....mmmmreeaaghhh. I've tried ranch and blue cheese, but I had never had chili-cheese fries with sour cream...a little weird...


Our server recommended the Jackalope and told us that there was only 4 left of the special (definitely a good sign).
So, I had the Jackalope: Antelope and rabbit sausage topped with huckleberry compote, sriracha aioli, and applewood smoked cheddar.
Where should I begin?

1. The first bite was so hot, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to taste food for the next year or so 2. The huckleberry compote was extremely sweet with a bitter after taste and 3. The aioli was very spicy
I finally took out the sausage, stabbed it onto my fork, ate it with some of the cheddar and chugged my beer.

The Austinite had the special: Buffalo sausage topped with avocado-mango relish and crema fresca. The mix of sweet and tangy flavors and the peculiar gamey taste of the sausage made a great match. He inhaled it.

A lot of bread, not enough sausage

The service was great, considering we were one of about four tables.

The space needs a lot of work...Let's just call it a two-week soft opening. Everything is still under construction, including their menus, partly because they are missing a couple of permits from the city to complete their back and upstairs. Their plan is to open a general/grocery store in the waaaay back that caters to the future residents of the Austonian and guests of the W Hotel. They're shooting for a one-stop shop for your Texas goodies like books, canned goods, jellies, etc. As for the upstairs, they want a lounge vibe with vintage pinball games and such.

They will soon have a late night window open until 3 a.m.

I want to meet their chef. From what I hear, he's their designer's younger brother, Matt, and is a young culinary explorador willing to take some major risks in the kitchen.

Overall, I wasn't blown away, but I'll give it another go once the dust settles.

http://hotdogscoldbeer.com/

1 comment:

  1. boooo, mejor me espero para ir despues.
    ve a bananarchy por favor.

    ReplyDelete